When I asked why this mad rush, the people told me everything except the facts...Some gathered below are
- This will replace the ration card.
- After first 2000 people, rest will not be given Aadhar numbers till next year.
- You will not be allowed to vote in the election.
- Banks will close your savings account if you do not give them Aadhar number.
- You can't file taxes with PAN alone; you will need Aadhar.
Here below is an attempt at separating the facts from fiction. I have drawn this from the official UIDAI site
Aadhar is …
Aadhar is NOT…
A number (12 digits)
For every individual, including infants
One per family
For establishing citizenship
Is only for Indians
Collects demographic and biometric data (10 fingerprints and iris scan) to establish uniqueness
Collects profiling information such as case, religion, language
Mandatory / Compulsory
For every resident irrespective of existing documentation
Only for individuals having some identification
One individual à One ID
Individual can obtain multiple IDs
UIDAI will establish a universal identification structure that can be used by banks, passport office, ration card, etc
Going to replace all other IDs
UIDAI will only give a “YES” or “NO” response for any query from banks/passport/etc regarding identification
UIDAI will share all collected information with all public institutions